Sunday, August 30, 2009

Down syndrome is not a four letter word

When McCain announced his choice for running mate I will admit, I was excited. Not necessarily because I cared for his choice, but because I knew that Palin had recently given birth to a child with Down syndrome. My thoughts were that with putting her in the spotlight, it might open a dialogue on a subject not many people are overly familiar with. Well, I guess the old saying be careful what you wish for is true. A dialogue has started and it is not a very pretty one.
In the days following the news, I have read so much misinformation with regards to Down syndrome. I have almost reached a point that I am turning off the computer and tv and avoiding newspapers. From the rumors that the child is not really hers because who would have a "special needs" child without the benefit of a NICU, to how could a mother to a "special needs" child dare to go back to work only four days after giving birth. I also read yesterday that she should not run simply because of all the extra work this "special needs" baby requires. In reading all these things I just sit and wonder. Has any of these people even seen this child much less know his health conditions??
The fact is that not every child born with Down syndrome require time in the NICU. Some do, not because of the Down syndrome, but because of other health issues that often are associated with the syndrome. My daughter spent 25 days in the NICU following her birth, but her Down syndrome was not the reason. She had other issues that needed to be resolved which most likely would have been there even if she had not been born with enhanced genes. The NICU that my daughter resided in had over 30 infants at any given time while we were there. Out of those 30, only 2 had Down syndrome.
I do not know if this woman is qualified to hold the office of Vice President, I have not had the opportunity to research and make an informed decision. What I do know is this, she was blessed with a beautiful child that happens to have Down syndrome. That, in my opinion, does not rule her out from accomplishing anything. I know many women that have a child with enhanced genes and those women have accomplished great things. To read that simply because her child has a disability she is somehow less qualified is absurd.
Down syndrome is not a death sentence. People grow up and often live perfectly normal lives. Children are mainstreamed in schools now instead of automatically being placed in Special Education. Gone are the days where the family simply hides the child away in an institution. I would be willing to bet that many of you have been in the presence of a child with Down syndrome at the store or at the mall and were completely unaware. They are not branded with a big "D".
I guess what I am trying to say is this...do not discount anyone simply because their child was born with a disability. Learn a bit more about the subject before you make broad assumptions. Down syndrome is a very misunderstood issue. I should know, prior to my daughter's birth I had no clue about it at all. When I was given the news I had every stereotypical picture in my head that you could ever imagine. The reality of the situation is this, however, my daughter looks much like her siblings. She has her daddy's skin coloring and her mammas eyes. She is a happy child most of the time, but take away a toy and she will become a bear. She loves playing outside, she loves Blues Clues. She does not look like "Corky" from that show in the early 90's. She looks like my little girl, beautiful, adventurous, and the most wonderful gift I could have ever received.
I was in the midst of obtaining my degree so that I could enter law school when my daughter was born. While for the moment those plans are on hold, it has nothing to do with her Down syndrome. I needed the break and wanted to make sure that the direction of my life had not changed. I will go back to school and I will get my law degree. I will complete all those things in spite of the fact that I have a "special needs" child. If there is one thing my daughter has taught me it is life goes on no matter what obstacles are put in your path.
Again, I have no idea if Palin is qualified for the position. I simply know that having a child with Down syndrome does not mean she isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment