Sunday, August 30, 2009

Girls and their piercings

like to think of myself as an understanding mom. While I don't wish to be the "cool" mom, I do like to think my kids can come and talk to me about difficult things. I can remember growing up my friend's mothers were very uptight about discussing sex and birth control while my mom tended to go the polar opposite. She embarrassed me plenty of times with how frank she was with her discussions.
Keeping that thought in mind, I like to see myself somewhere in the middle. I do not sit down with my daughter and discuss the proper way in which to kiss a boy nor do I shy away when the topic of sex comes up. I answer as honestly and as openly as I can and pray that this is just one of those "for the future" type conversations.
Having said all that, this post has nothing to do with sex. It has to do with piercings. Being a somewhat forward thinking mom, I don't mind some piercings. W is almost fourteen and has requested that I allow her to pierce her belly. While I know some mother's would say no, I honestly had no problem with it.
What I do have a problem with is the whole lip, eyebrow, tongue thing. For me the belly is something that is easily hidden and kind of cute when you are out in your swimsuit. I will admit that I pierced my belly a few years ago and I love it. With that in mind, I approved.
Today W throws me for a loop. She gets into the car and the first thing she says is "now mom, don't freak out, just listen to the whole story". This is not my first time at this particular rodeo, so I prepare for the worst. Thankfully, my worst was much worse than her story. It seems W has this great friend that knows someone (don't you just love these kinds of stories), that does body piercings. "You see mom, her cousin does this like for a living and like wouldn't charge me anything, so I was like thinking....now don't get mad, but I was kinda hoping that, and remember it won't cost anything, well um...could I get my lip pierced?" "Since it won't cost anything, no money will be lost if like I don't like it. So you see mom, I am really saving you money by letting her cousin do it. So, like can I do it tomorrow?"
I had to remain totally still for a few minutes because I wanted to laugh, but knew that she would be upset if I did. My response was as follows; "Well, W, that is just great that your friends cousin has such a great profession, but there is no way in you know where that you are getting your lip pierced. In reality you are saving me nothing because I wouldn't pay for something so stupid in the first place, but thanks for thinking of me." We had the typical, "buy why?" conversation which ended with me sounding just like my own mother when I kept repeating, "because I said so that's why".
Am I just getting old or are their other mother's that think this whole piercing fascination has gotten out of hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment